Sunday, August 19, 2012

My Vacation Part 1: The Outer Banks


My family went on vacation for a week from Thursday, August 9th - Thursday, August 16th. My parents decided it very last minute. First we went to the Outer Banks. I love going to any beach, and I already went to a different beach earlier this so I was excited to go again. The ride there took about seven hours. When we gt there we ate dinner and went straight to our campsite to set up our tent. By then it was dark outside. When we drove to our reserved spot only to find that someone else had taken it! We moved down a few spots and set up our tent there instead. On the beach there is always wind, so when the wind was swaying our tent a little bit we were not worried. I saw some lightning in the distance and got a little bit worried. My mom said it probably wouldn't come to the place we were staying. Well two hours later there was bigger gusts of wind that made it feel like the tent was about to collapse! Then the lightning and thunder started coming and it started pouring rain. The inside of our tent was getting soaked. I got freaked out and our family went to the car to sleep for a little bit while my dad tried to fix the tent. When he was done half of my family went back to the tent and half stayed in the car (including me). It kept thundering and lightning, but it stopped raining. A little while later it started pouring rain again. The half of our family in the tent wanted to come back into there car because they were getting soaked and the tent was about to collapse on top of them.                                                                                                                                                     

This is our tent after everyone was in the car.


This is how soaked or tent got.


This us sleeping in the car.


When we woke up it was cloudy, but then it cleared up and it was actually sunny! My parents had had this tent for about fifteen years. It lasted a long time! When it was light outside  my dad took the tent apart only to find the poles looking like this:
These our the tent poles


 My parents ended up throwing the tent away. We went to the beach for about an hour and then it started storming again! That night we stayed in a motel and went to the beach the next day. Everyone went for about an hour and a half before it started raining (no thunder or lightning this time though). Almost everybody left except for me, my dad, Spencer's friend, and Spencer's friend's parents. I stayed for another thirty minutes or so and then we left. That night we drove the three hours to Williamsburg which is part two of my vacation. 


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a pretty exciting night camping! Can't wait to hear about the rest of your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your word verification to leave a comment is ridiculously difficult (it took me four tries). You should ask your mom if there's a way to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an exciting vacation. You are so lucky. Hard to believe that it is almost time to head back to school after such a short and exciting summer.

    Thanks for sharing your memories and cool pics with all of us. So glad to know that you have a blog now. Not sure why no one told me until Aitcher showed it to me.

    We love you Emmakins!!

    ReplyDelete